2nd Grade Curriculum
2nd Grade Curriculum
We have a school-wide religion curriculum that takes a spiral approach to learning our Catholic faith using RCL’s Faith First. The four pillars of the Catechism of the Catholic Church-Creed, Sacraments, Morality, and Prayer are taught and developed. Second grade students will also prepare for First Penance and First Communion using the Sadlier Sacrament Program. Second grader’s also go to weekly mass and student body mass once a month.Reading/Language Arts
- Our Prayers: Sign of the Cross, The Lord’s Prayer, Hail Mary, Grace Before Meals, Glory Prayer, the Rosary, and Act of Contrition
- Creed: The Holy Trinity, Praising God, The Church
- Liturgy and Sacraments: The Seven Sacraments, Parts of the Mass, God’s Forgiving Love, We Give Thanks to God
- Christian Morality: We are God’s Children, The Ten Commandments, Making Choices, We Share in God’s Life
- Prayer: We Talk to God, Jesus Teaches us to Pray, Forms of Prayer
Our Imagine It!, reading program include word analysis, decoding, and vocabulary development. Students will apply this knowledge to achieve fluent oral and silent, guided reading skill. Students will also participate in the school-wide STAR/Accelerated Reading Program.
- Decoding Skills include:
- Phonemic Awareness and Blending
- Use of Contextual Clues
- Sentence Structure
- Use of Picture Cues
- Comprehension skills include:
- Retell what is read
- Express the main ideas
- Discuss and write about what is read
- Read Expressively
- Engage Prior Knowledge
Students are taught to write to communicate, to express ideas creatively, and to develop more independence as a writer. Second grade students focus on the content of their writing, the thoughtfulness of their ideas, and their use of descriptive language. Students are encouraged to integrate expression of ideas and complete thoughts with attention to details. Students learn The Steps in the Writing Process and demonstrate Traits of Effective Writing. Students write narrative, expository, and descriptive texts. Students also work with simple solutions grammar to learn new grammar skills and to reinforce the ones they learned in first grade.
- Sentences and Paragraphs (Journals, Spelling Books, Book Reports)
- Subject Writing (Ancestor Report)
- Narrative, persuasion, opinion writing
The goal for second graders as listeners and speakers is for them to be able to listen and talk with each other and their teachers, attentively and respectfully.
Students will be using McGraw-Hill Mathematics to explore the following concepts:
- Addition and Subtraction Strategies and Facts to 20
- Place Value
- Add 2 Digit Numbers
- Subtract 2 Digit Numbers
- Data and Graphs
- Fractions and Probability
- Place Value to 1,000
- Add and Subtract 3 digit Numbers
- Intro to Multiplication and Division
Our Second grade text, Houghton Mifflin History Social Science- Neighborhoods:Science
- Second graders learn about things that happened long ago and things that happened yesterday.
- Students learn map skills by describing the absolute and relative locations of people, places, and environment.
- They learn about the governmental institutions and practices in the United States and other countries.
- Students learn basic economic concepts and their individual roles in the economy and basic economic reasoning skills.
- They examine the importance of individual action and character and learn how heroes from long ago and the recent past have made a difference in others’ lives.
Our second grade textbook is Discovery Education Science.
- Students interactively learn about physical, life, and earth science.
- Focus is given to implementation of the next generation science standards.
- Students will participate in activities, experiments and learn about many new aspects of science by bringing it alive in the classroom.