5th Grade Curriculum
5th Grade Curriculum
Religion – Faith First RCL (Resources for Christian Living), Benziger Family LifeReading – Harcourt School Publishers
- Our Creed:examining scripture and the life of Jesus to understand what we, as Catholics believe about God and the church.
- Liturgy and Sacraments: worshiping and celebrating the sacraments during different seasons of the year.
- Christian Morality: living and making decisions based on scripture, especially the beatitudes and the commandments.
- Prayer: examining the prayer of Jesus and the traditional prayers of the Church to aid us in expressing our faith in a variety of ways.
- Benziger Family Life
- Complement the primary learning that happens in the family in the area of human sexuality.
- STEWARDSHIP St. Irenaeus Parish School has a formal stewardship program taught in grades TK-8. Every month at each grade level a different theme is taught about our role as disciples. 5th grade will be setting aside 10% of their classroom budget to fund the 5th grade stewardship project.
Includes a student anthology with quality literature and workbooks for reinforcing reading, writing, and phonics skills. Vocabulary, comprehension, and critical thinking skills are developed through direct instruction, guided readings, discussions and writing. Reading themes covered in the Harcourt Brace textbook include:Language ArtsSocial Studies – United States History Early Years, Houghton MifflinMathematics – McGraw Hill My Math CCSS EditionScience – Discovery Education Science TechOther Subjects
- Finding A Way
- Common Goals
- Go With The Flow
- Dare To Be Great
- Making A Difference
- Feats Of Daring
- Sadlier – Oxford Vocabulary Workshop – expands word knowledge
- Sadlier – Oxford Vocabulary Workshop – expands word Sadlier – Oxford Grammar Workshop – applies rules to writing
- Daily Oral Language-provides daily practice in hearing and writing sentences
- Spelling – SRA and Handwriting-reinforces communication skills
- Daily writing activities, journaling, essays-help students express their ideas
- Students participate in the Accelerated Reading Program, which requires nightly reading. AR is 25% of their Literature grade.
- United States History, past and present–its people, places and events.
- Exploring and settling of America
- Life in the English colonies
- The struggle for independence
- The life of the growing nation
- The nation’s period of conflict and finding America’s future place in the world
- We look to see how the dreams of people guided their decisions and how we continue to share those dreams with others
- Students have access to ebook with all lessons.
- Develops mathematical concepts along with basic computational and problem solving skills.
- Math functions focus on multiplication and division of larger numbers, decimals, fractions and mixed numbers.
- Accelerated Math is incorporated into the basic math program.
- Next Generation Science Standards
- Students have access to Discovery Education science tech book with all lessons. They may read text, view videos, and respond to questions.
- Life Science will include the study of organisms and their interaction with the environment - ecology; plant and animal growth.
- Earth Science will include the Earth's atmosphere, its natural resources and changing surface. It also includes the water cycle.
- Space Science will include the study of stars and the solar system.
- Physical Science will include the study of matter and energy.
Fifth graders also participate in
- Computers (Technology)