4th Grade Curriculum
4th Grade Curriculum
Resources for Christian Living, Faith First
- God’s Word
- I will be your God
- People of Prayer
- Mass Parts
- Lent, Holy Week, and Easter
- Holy Spirit
- Celebrating God's Love
- Living a Holy Life
- The Prayer of Disciples
- Corporal Works
- The People of God
- Precepts of the Church
- Ten Commandments/Great Commandment
- Students learn monthly prayers.
- Students attend a retreat.
- Students attend mass weekly.
- Students plan and participate in a student body mass.
- Students participate in a service project.
- Family Life
Reading – Harcourt Publishers - Excursions
- Getting the Job Done
- Imagination at Work
- Novel: Novels are given to meet the students level. Such novels as A Tale of a Forth Grade Nothing or The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe have been used.
- Skills add Author’s purpose and perspective, motivation, plot, conflict and resolution, figurative language.
- Skills such as compare and contrast, predicting, drawing conclusions, summarizing, fact and opinion, main idea and details, and cause and effect
- Accelerated Reading Program
Sadler-Oxford, Grammar Workshop
- Sentence structure
- Parts of speech
Vocabulary is studied in each subject area.
- Words are addressed in different subject areas.
- Worksheets ae done through the reading program.
Aligned with the Common CoreHandwriting:
- Personal Narrative
- Narrative poem as well as various types of poetry using figurative language
- Mission Report
- Persuasive Essay
- Explanatory Essay
- Passion Project
- Other writing is done across curriculum such as lab reports in Science
Zanar-Bloser, Handwriting A Way to Self-Expression
- Students learn to write all upper case and lower case letters, words, and sentences in cursive.
- Handwriting is used in different subjects except math.
McGraw Hill, My MathScience
- Place Value
- Addition and Subtraction of Whole Numbers
- Understanding Multiplication and Division
- Multiplying by 1 and 2 digit factors
- Division by 1 digit numbers
- Patterns and Sequences
- Operations with Fractions
- Fractions and Decimals
- Customary Measurement
- Metric Measurement
- Perimeter and Area
Science Inspire Science
- Structures and functions of plants
- Structures and functions of animals
- Information processing in animals
- role of animals' eyes
- Information transfer
- Ski jump on gravity
- Energy transfer in collisions
- Map Earth's features
- Map earthquakes
- Reduce earthquake damage
- Students do a lab with each lesson and activities as well as a test
St. Mary's Press and Textbook Houghton Mifflin, History-Social Science
- Covers, geography of California, Indians, St. Serra and the missions as well as secularization, Catholic social teaching, and healing our planet
- Mexican California
- Gold Rush Years
- Students write an individual mission report and make an artifact related to the time period.
- Class field trip to Mission San Juan Capistrano
- US Geography Bee for 3rd and 4rth grade students.