1st Grade Curriculum
1st Grade Curriculum
First graders participate in a school-wide religion program focusing on liturgy, sacraments, and the Church using RCL’s Faith First. They also learn about saints, Christian Values, prayers and providing Christian service to others.Reading/Language Arts
- Prayers: Sign of the Cross, The Lord’s Prayer, Hail Mary, and Grace Before Meals
- The Liturgical Seasons: Advent, Christmas, Ordinary Time, Lent, and Easter
- Worship: Genuflecting, Eucharist, Parts of the Mass, Weekly Attendance
- The Seven Sacraments
- Living as a Child of God: Christian Morality, Respect, Honor, Sharing, Forgiveness
In first grade students work on skills that enable them to read and write more independently. An important goal in first grade is that students learn to read and be able to decode and recognize words accurately and automatically. Students will also participate in the school-wide STAR/Accelerated Reading Program.
- Phonemic Awareness, Oral Blending, Syllables/Word Parts, Initial and final Consonants
- Letter Names and Shapes
- Phonics, Rhyming Words, Short and Long Vowels, Digraphs
- Reading Comprehension, Realistic Fiction
- Reading with Fluency
Students also learn to write and spell words and use them to communicate ideas and experiences. Students should be able to apply the conventions and structures of sentences in their writing and speaking.Math
- Spelling lists/tests,
- Grammar, vocabulary, parts of speech, punctuation
- Writing Sentences and Stories
- Book Reports
- Listening/Speaking activities
Students will be using McGraw-Hill Mathematics to explore the following concepts:Social Studies
- Addition Facts to 8, to 12, and to 20
- Subtraction to 8, to 12, and to 20
- Data and Graphs
- Time to the Hour and the Half Hour
- Place Value and Patterns
Our first grade text, Houghton Mifflin History Social Science School and Family, aligns with the CA state standardsScience
- First graders learn about rights and responsibilities in our world.
- Students learn about rules and fair play.
- They also examine life in their own community and compare it to people long ago.
- Students also examine American heroes, symbols, icons, and songs.
- Map and Globe Skills
- Chart and Graph Skills
Our first grade Science text aligns with CA State standards and we also incorporate NGSS (Next Generation Science Standards). In the various areas students learn about:
- Animals, Plants, and Living Things
- Lights and Shadows
- Weather, Climate, and Land Resources
- Investigation and Experimentation
- Nutrition and Health
- Space: Stars, Sun, and Moon